Definition of bureaucracy in English:
noun (plural bureaucracies)
1A system of government in which most of the important decisions are made by state officials rather than by elected representatives.
- It also reduces the links between social democracy and overbearing bureaucracy.
- He surveys the continued break-up and decline in influence of the old social democratic bureaucracy and predicts that reaction will benefit.
- In this case the people are circus performers, not very good ones, and the system is the Communist bureaucracy of Czechoslovakia.
1.1A state or organization governed or managed as a bureaucracy.
- Virtually all corporations and government bureaucracies are dictatorships.
- This is one of the big problems with bureaucracies, especially as regards long-seated civil organizations.
- Such automatic feedback mechanisms are one of the primary reasons why markets perform so much better than public sector bureaucracies.
1.2The officials in a bureaucracy, considered as a group or hierarchy.
- The labour bureaucracies could no longer combine their defence of the profit system with the advocacy of limited social reforms.
- There are, of course, a chief executive's policies, which are executed by a staff and attending bureaucracies.
- The other prop for the Labour leadership is the union bureaucracies, the full time officials at the top of the hierarchy.
1.3Excessively complicated administrative procedure, seen as characteristic of bureaucracy: the unnecessary bureaucracy in local government
More example sentences
- Many things in India are complex because of massive bureaucracy, protocol and procedure.
- There is no overbearing bureaucracy or complicated rules.
- The unit will tackle unnecessary paperwork and reduce bureaucracy.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan