(also burkha, burqa)
- A long, loose garment covering the whole body from head to feet, worn in public by many Muslim women.More example sentences
- Hindu women wear the sari, while their Muslim counterparts wear the burqa in public, a long black or white garment that covers them from head to foot and has a veil.
- Covered from head to foot in a burka - a traditional Muslim garment - I crossed the border and stepped onto the road to the southern Afghan city of Kandahar.
- Orthodox Muslim women cover themselves from head to foot in the tent-like burqa, the long garment that covers them from head to toe.
Urdu and Persian burḳa῾, from Arabic burḳu῾.
More definitions of burkaDefinition of burka in:
- The British & World English dictionary