1(Of a vehicle or building) destroyed or badly damaged by fire; gutted.
- The city, a Los Angeles Times reporter wrote, is ‘a tableau of destroyed buildings, burned-out cars, battered mosques and piles of rubble’.
- On this jumbotron, the Kings ran a series of images depicting Detroit as full of dilapidated, garbage-strewn buildings and burned-out cars.
- No one in their right mind would live here among the burned-out office buildings and development complexes.
1.1(Of an electrical device or component) having failed through overheating.
- So we would like to provide training to young people to repair burned-out transformers.
- I agree with you that it is probably a partially burned-out motor that has lost some of its torque.
- What could be wrong besides a burned-out fuse if power windows and power locks on all four doors don't work on a 1996 Cherokee Classic?
1.2(Of a person) in a state of physical or mental collapse caused by overwork or stress: she felt burned out, an empty shell a burned-out undercover cop
More example sentences
- I was burned-out on mass market fiction, and starting to enjoy more and more the richer characterizations and more realistic plotting of so-called literary fiction.
- I felt a bit like some burned-out musician dragged from the tour bus and propped in front of a mike, staring at the playlist and trying to remember how the chords went.
- The 1966 competition also provides a fascinating comment on the claim, advanced by Sven Goran Eriksson, that European players were simply burned-out by the time they got to the Far East because of the number of games they had played.
1.3 informal (Of a teenager or other person) having dropped out; drug-using.
- Needles spent from heroin injection litter the streets, left to the unwitting hands of preadolescent children; burned-out teenagers lurk in projects.
- I was burned out with school, burned out on drugs.
- Or they have burned out on alcohol and drugs.
Definition of burned-out in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.