Definition of butch in English:
Manlike or masculine in appearance or behavior, typically aggressively or ostentatiously so.
- The good news, what there is of it, is that the few remaining teeth that I do have are apparently good teeth, strong teeth, firm, manly, positively butch teeth.
- Number one: while I personally quite like butch women, it's not a taste that's shared by every woman in the world - or even most of them.
- In the restlessly nurturing mind's eye of my mother, there resides a vastly better lighted and less deliberately butch apartment that is organized to be shared with a member of the opposite sex.
nounBack to top
A mannish lesbian, often contrasted with a more feminine partner. Compare with femme.
- Also masculine females and feminine males - including butches and gay males considered to be ‘effeminate.’
- My friends are largely femmes who date only butches - so many of us have dated or at least slept with the same ones.
- Nearly all of those women who do like butches are lesbians.
- butchy adjective
- Example sentences
- Connelly decides to seek out emotional truth in her role, and leaves the hysterics and butchy resolve to lesser scream queens.
- Most of my female lovers have been pretty butchy.
- I'm not a butchy looking dyke.
1940s: perhaps an abbreviation of butcher.
Words that rhyme with butchputsch
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.