Definition of butcherbird in English:
1A shrike (family Laniidae) that impales its prey on thorns.
- The butcher-bird is today's loggerhead shrike, found only rarely anywhere in Massachusetts now.
- Also known as the gray shrike, the great butcher-bird is known for securing its prey to thorns so that it can more easily tear it apart.
- Since the isabellinus group is morphologically and biologically intermediate between the other two groups. it would be more cautious today to combine all forms of butcher-birds into a single polytypic species.
2A crowlike predacious Australasian songbird, with a heavy hook-tipped bill. Compare with magpie (sense 2.
- Family Cracticidae: three genera, in particular Cracticus, and several species
- The adult Grey Butcherbird has a black crown and face and a grey back, with a thin white collar.
- The Pied Butcherbird is a medium-sized black and white bird (33cm - 37cm)
- The Pied Butcher Bird is a black hooded Butcher Bird with a superb song.
Mid 17th century: from its habit of impaling its prey on thorns.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.