Definition of buteo in English:
noun (plural buteos)Ornithology , chiefly US
A bird of prey of a group distinguished by broad wings that are used for soaring.
- Buteo and related genera, family Accipitridae; many species, including the buzzards and the red-tailed and Harris’s hawks
- It's easy this time of year to forget that the skies belong to birds other than buteos, accipiters, and their ilk.
- For example, most buteos eat primarily small mammals and most accipiters prey on birds.
- Even better, we enjoyed long side-by-side views of the buteo next to a Northern Harrier, by far the most common raptor at Croton Point.
from Latin buteo 'buzzard, hawk'.
Definition of buteo in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan