Definition of butterfish in English:
noun (plural same or butterfishes)
Any of a number of fishes with oily flesh or slippery skin, in particular.
- ● A deep-bodied edible fish of temperate and tropical seas (family Stromateidae), in particular Peprilus triacanthus of eastern North America. ● another term for gunnel1 ● An Australasian reef fish (family Odacidae), in particular the edible Odax pullus of New Zealand, which has green bones and feeds on kelp. ● A tropical freshwater or marine fish that is popular in aquariums (several families, including Scatophagidae).
- Ballan wrasse, dragonets, scorpionfish, butterfish and topknots (common and Norwegian) all occur frequently.
- It was not until the autofocus hit the mark that I noted the jaws of the scorpionfish trapping the poor butterfish.
- The most common here are butterfish, which swim off, snake-like, if disturbed.
Definition of butterfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia