Definition of butterfly net in English:
1A fine-meshed bag supported on a frame at the end of a handle for catching butterflies.
- At times, catching bubbles with a butterfly net might seem to provide a more worthwhile preoccupation.
- We could use those or simply use hand nets, like a butterfly net, to catch our bats.
- We don't know if we need an elephant gun or a butterfly net to deal with them.
1.1 humorous A butterfly net supposedly dropped over a person in order to take the person away to a mental hospital: the men with the butterfly nets will be sitting on the foot of my bed
More example sentences
- Then two guys with white coats and a butterfly net come and chase him around.
- This was a marked difference to some of Golota's previous contests when he has had to be ushered into the ring at gunpoint and pursued on his way out of it with a butterfly net.
- Vogts, on Friday, spoke with such matter-of-fact enthusiasm about all these players and options it was tempting to look around for men in white coats with butterfly nets.
Definition of butterfly net in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.