Definition of butterfly net in English:
1A fine-meshed bag supported on a frame at the end of a handle for catching butterflies.
- At times, catching bubbles with a butterfly net might seem to provide a more worthwhile preoccupation.
- We could use those or simply use hand nets, like a butterfly net, to catch our bats.
- We don't know if we need an elephant gun or a butterfly net to deal with them.
1.1 humorous A butterfly net supposedly dropped over a person in order to take the person away to a mental hospital: the men with the butterfly nets will be sitting on the foot of my bed
More example sentences
- Then two guys with white coats and a butterfly net come and chase him around.
- This was a marked difference to some of Golota's previous contests when he has had to be ushered into the ring at gunpoint and pursued on his way out of it with a butterfly net.
- Vogts, on Friday, spoke with such matter-of-fact enthusiasm about all these players and options it was tempting to look around for men in white coats with butterfly nets.
Definition of butterfly net in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan