Definition of butterfly weed in English:
A North American milkweed with bright orange flowers that are attractive to butterflies.
- Asclepias tuberosa, family Asclepiadaceae
- Plants here include prairie rose, nodding onion, gray-headed coneflower, butterfly weed, green milkweed, hoary puccoon, and even eastern prickly pear cactus.
- Milkweed or butterfly weed (Asclepias spp.), which produces flattened clusters of star-shaped blooms for months, is a nectar plant for several butterflies and a larval food plant for monarch butterflies.
- Seeds of most hardy perennials - including bleeding heart, butterfly weed, columbine, delphinium, liatris, and penstemon - require a period of chilling to germinate.
Definition of butterfly weed in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan