Definition of butterfly weed in English:
A North American milkweed with bright orange flowers that are attractive to butterflies.
- Asclepias tuberosa, family Asclepiadaceae
- Plants here include prairie rose, nodding onion, gray-headed coneflower, butterfly weed, green milkweed, hoary puccoon, and even eastern prickly pear cactus.
- Milkweed or butterfly weed (Asclepias spp.), which produces flattened clusters of star-shaped blooms for months, is a nectar plant for several butterflies and a larval food plant for monarch butterflies.
- Seeds of most hardy perennials - including bleeding heart, butterfly weed, columbine, delphinium, liatris, and penstemon - require a period of chilling to germinate.
Definition of butterfly weed in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.