Definition of butterflyfish in English:
1Any of a number of typically brightly colored or boldly marked fish of warm waters, in particular.
- ● A reef-dwelling fish that is popular in marine aquariums (Chaetodon and other genera, family Chaetodontidae). ● A predatory marine fish that bears long venomous spines (genus Pterois, family Scorpaenidae).
- In certain areas of the tropics where clownfish, sea anemone, and butterfly fish exist, clownfish scare off butterflyfish from their host anemone.
- A few of her endemic favorites: the saddle wrasse, the bluestripe butterfly fish, and the whitesaddle goatfish.
- The spine on the operculum is the best way to identify an angelfish and to distinguish it from similar-looking species, such as butterfly fish.
2A West African freshwater fish with large pectoral fins used in leaping out of the water and long fin rays used as stilts.
- Pantodon buchholzi, the only member of the family Pantodontidae
- The Pantodontidae or Butterfly fish family consists of a single species which is distributed in tropical West Africa.
- I got my first African Butterfly fish about 2 years ago and it was the nicest fish in my tank.
- The African Butterfly Fish is found in African in the waters of the West African Rainforest.
Definition of butterflyfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.