1A slit made in a garment to receive a button for fastening.
- Details like workmanship, buttons, buttonholes, cuffs, and seams are usually good indicators of the item's quality and authenticity. where to find the goods
- Make the samples on the same number of fabric and interfacing layers that are in the garment where the buttonholes are located.
- On the center front of a garment, horizontal buttonholes are the most secure and help prevent the opening from gaping.
1.1British A boutonnière.
- ‘I know he has nothing to do with this,’ said Jamal Awadallah, who was wearing a red, white and blue Together We Stand buttonhole.
- As for the hired morning suit complete with cravat and matching buttonhole, alas, there was nothing I could have done about that.
- The bride's choice of bouquet and the bridegroom's buttonhole are made from fresh flowers.
1 informal Attract the attention of and detain (someone) in conversation, typically against his or her will.
- Around the adjacent display of scientifically-valuable spinning tops and dinosaur models stood a man buttonholing people to get signatures on a petition to save the place.
- I've just spent the past hour or so buttonholing people wandering around and asking them what they think of the new products.
- After that it takes Kernaghan a half-hour to get out of the hall as people keep buttonholing him.
2Make slits for receiving buttons in (a garment).
- When the contacts on the presser foot ride over the markers, a circuit is completed and proper steps in the buttonholing sequence are initiated.
- Roman cutwork or Colbert embroidery is one of the prettiest forms of buttonholing.
- The edges are buttonholed all around.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.