Definition of butyl in English:
noun[as modifier] Chemistry
1An alkyl radical —C4H9, derived from butane: butyl acetate
More example sentences
- These may contain solvents such as toluene, isopropryl alcohol, ethyl and butyl acetates, acetone and other ketones.
- The most durable exterior house paints are based on acrylic co-polymers of materials like methyl methacrylate and butyl acrylate.
- These reformulated gasolines contain either corn-derived ethanol or natural-gas derivatives such as MTBE (methyl tertiary butyl ether).
1.1 short for butyl rubber.
- Good ventilation, goggles, and butyl or nitrile rubber gloves are essential; work in a hood is recommended.
- Several types of synthetic materials also may be referred to as latex (eg, butyl, petroleum-based materials) but these do not contain the proteins that cause allergic reactions.
- Seam problems were resolved by the introduction of butyl seam tapes as a replacement for earlier liquid-applied neoprene adhesive.
Words that rhyme with butylfutile, rutile, utile
Definition of butyl in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.