1The transfer of a competitor directly to the next round of a competition in the absence of an assigned opponent.
- All 16 seeded players received byes into the second round.
- Where's the justice in eliminating more non-league teams in the qualifying rounds than is necessary, only for league clubs to be given byes in the first round proper of the competition?
- Again, there would be a two-day playoff, but without byes.
mid 16th century (denoting a side issue or incidental matter): from the noun by.
Short for goodbye.
- I have decided that I have run out of adjectives or maybe never had any in the first place so bye for now.
- Well, my mom's calling me because we're going to the hospital to visit my grandma, so bye for now, and pray I don't upset her.
- But anyway, you've probably got better things to do than listen to me rant, so bye for now.