1A cultivated plant eaten as a vegetable, having thick green or purple leaves surrounding a spherical heart or head of young leaves.
- Brassica oleracea, family Brassicaceae (the cabbage family). As well as the brassicas, the members of this family (known as crucifers) include the mustards and cresses together with many ornamentals (candytuft, alyssum, stocks, nasturtiums, wallflowers).
- In the school's garden are giant tufts of spinach, green peppers and cabbages planted according to eco-friendly and sustainable permaculture principles.
- Particularly good trap crops include: green lettuce, cabbage, calendula, marigolds, comfrey leaves, zinnias and beans.
- Other fields and cottage gardens grow grapevines on overhead trellises, the soil beneath the arches being densely planted with cabbages and other vegetables.
1.1The leaves of a head of cabbage, eaten as a vegetable.
- The vegetables, a mixture of bok choy, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, were fresh and delicious.
- In the meantime it may help to avoid gas producing foods, including beans, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, eggplant, radishes and onions.
- Add the onion, paprika, bay leaves, cabbage, carrot and potatoes.
- Example sentences
- We are more cabbagey as a nation because of a head of cabbage, and with its help we can aspire to higher and higher levels of vegetative wonder.
- The cabbage soup is good and hearty, filling, high in flavor, not overly cabbagey, and served with a warm pita.
- Tuck into this crisp, light, elegantly herby, 13 per cent alcohol summer food-suitable white with plenty of rich, cabbagey, mature Chardonnay fruit on the finish while you can.
Words that rhyme with cabbageBabbage
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of cabbage in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.