Definition of cabildo in English:
noun (plural cabildos)
1(In Spain and Spanish-speaking countries) a town council or local government council.
- In some cases, local officials and members of indigenous cabildos colluded to divest the Indian communities of their land.
- These masqueraders may well be members of a Congo cabildo who have agreed to be photographed in one of Havana's best-known photography studios.
- Unfortunately also, the book neither provides new primary data nor new interpretations on the popular topic of Afro-Cuban cabildos, which have drawn much professional attention for their uniqueness.
1.1A town hall.
- ‘We have no such thing in the United States,’ says Stephens, explaining that cabildos are ‘nation houses’ - houses associated with the various language groups that the slave trade brought to Cuba.
- When slaves were drumming and dancing in the cabildos, Spanish colonial masters thought that they were honouring the saints.
- When authorities found out that Catholic saints were identified with African gods and they were used to make rituals and sacred dances, they attempted to prohibit the presence of Catholic images in the Cabildos.