Bad handwriting or spelling.
- ‘We have a national affliction, and it's called cacography - that means ‘illegible handwriting.’
- He blows off his steam with such an eagerness that he forgets for a time, or nearly forgets, his cacography.
- And yet, upon careful examination we find a method, a system, in his orthography, or rather in his cacography.
- Example sentences
- I need to know if there are any cacographers strong enough to write the misspell that infected her.
- I am a cacographer, though both of my uncle and aunt are calligraphers, and my mother is a painting teacher.
- The police chief, the owner of the laundromat, half of the samba band, the entire municipal council, the town floozy - they were all nematodes: roundworms, hookworms, pinworms, whipworms and cacographers.
Late 16th century: from Greek kakos 'bad', on the pattern of orthography.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of cacography in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.