- 1A light rowboat used on the Bosporus.More example sentences
- The lighter service was handled, at least in part, by caiques and other mostly locally owned small boats whose socio-economic leverage, unlike that of the elite property owners on the sea front, was not great.
- Would you like to experience Istanbul from a caique?
- We sent up our luggage and servants by a caique, a long, narrow, flat-bottomed boat, rowed by sculls.
- 2A small eastern Mediterranean sailing ship.More example sentences
- Formerly known as caiques, gulets are beautiful, broad-beamed, hand-built wooden sailing boats, but unfortunately these days the sails are strictly for show.
- Typically, 12 to 20 rounds were needed to destroy a caique or schooner.
- In fact only a small convoy of caiques, bearing a single battalion of mountain troops, was headed for Maleme, not Canea.
early 17th century: from French caïque, from Italian caicco, from Turkish kayık.
More definitions of caiqueDefinition of caique in:
- The British & World English dictionary