- A jointed-stemmed swamp plant of an extinct group related to the horsetails, growing to a height of 60 feet (18 m). Calamites are characteristic fossils of the Carboniferous coal measures.
More example sentences
- Calamites and other genera, family Calamitaceae, class Sphenopsida
- The latter group comprises the archaeocalamites, calamites, and horsetails.
- Coal forests of giant lycopods, calamites, pteridophytes and ferns cover the tropical landmasses.
- The old tropical coal swamps (with their giant lycopods, calamites, and cordaitales) declined and disappeared with the drier and cooler climate, surviving only in China and in high latitudes of Pangaea.
modern Latin, from calamus.