- A tropical American plant that typically has variegated and ornamental leaves, widely grown as a greenhouse or indoor plant.
More example sentences
- Genus Calathea, family Marantaceae: many species
- The maranta and calathea are other such plants.
- Good quality calatheas can be produced but careful attention must be given to the production environment.
- Many calatheas have a red or purple underside to their leaves, which adds subterfuge to their pest resistance.
modern Latin, from Greek kalathos 'basket'.
More definitions of calatheaDefinition of calathea in:
- The British & World English dictionary