- 1Containing calcium carbonate; chalky.More example sentences
- Fritted iron can be used on acid soils, but it isn't suitable for use on alkaline or calcareous soils (with calcium carbonate).
- Because of their ability to secrete calcium carbonate, calcareous red algae have a better Phanerozoic fossil record than many other groups of algal protists.
- The Ph conditions should be ideally calcareous or neutral.
- 1.1 Ecology (Of vegetation) occurring on chalk or limestone.More example sentences
- The unit consists of limestone or calcareous mudstone and was deposited in a fully marine environment.
- The Liard Formation is a variably thick succession of calcareous sandstone and arenaceous limestone that was deposited within and adjacent to the Peace River embayment in the Middle Triassic.
- The Blubber Point Member, characterized by impure limestone and calcareous sandstone with minor shale, represents shallow, inner carbonate shelf deposition.
late 17th century: from Latin calcarius (from calx, calc- 'lime') + -eous.
More definitions of calcareousDefinition of calcareous in:
- The British & World English dictionary