A South American plant of the figwort family that is cultivated for its brightly colored slipper- or pouch-shaped flowers. Also called pocketbook plant.
- Genus Calceolaria, family Scrophulariaceae
More example sentences
- In zones 15-17, you can also plant calceolaria, cineraria, nemesia, and schizanthus.
- Some special care is requisite in growing these splendid calceolarias in a creditable manner.
- Sow some half-hardy annuals for use a winter pot plants e.g. calceolarias, schizanthus and cinnerarias.
late 18th century: modern Latin, from Latin calceolus, diminutive of calceus 'shoe'.
Definition of calceolaria in:
- The British & World English dictionary