Definition of calligraphy in English:
1Decorative handwriting or handwritten lettering.
- This attention to detail, beauty, and muscle control can later be transferred to cursive writing and beautiful calligraphy.
- He handed me a note, folded neatly down the middle and lettered in flowing calligraphy.
- It was a simple, yet elegant invitation - all white, with a little emboss of flowers and the information written in calligraphy.
1.1The art of producing decorative handwriting or lettering with a pen or brush.
- Qianlong proves a generous patron of the arts, supporting classical calligraphy, poetry and painting.
- Later, the guqin was regarded as one of the four required arts for ancient Chinese scholars, including the art of Go, calligraphy and painting.
- It was noted that most students lack a thorough background in typography, lettering and calligraphy.
early 17th century: from Greek kalligraphia, from kalligraphos 'person who writes beautifully', from kallos 'beauty' + graphein 'write'.
- Example sentences
- Archaeological discoveries from the Bronze Age also found that ancient Chinese calligraphers painted characters on tortoise shells.
- It seems to me that the use of calligraphy is changing, as so many calligraphers are leaning towards fine art.
- Today's calligraphers believe it is impossible to advance beyond the artistic peak achieved by their predecessors, although they are trying hard to keep the ancient art form alive.
- Example sentences
- The calligraphist had given each letter a shadow, so that the words seemed to hover just over the page.
- Also in the garden, inscriptions of the noted calligraphists lure many lovers of oriental culture.
- People were all in high spirits with Spring Festival scrolls written by officials and calligraphists in hand.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan