Definition of calorie in English:
noun (plural calories)
1Either of two units of heat energy.
- I feel a small fury begin to build, but inside I feel nothing, not a single calorie of heat.
- Only after we've squeezed every wasted kilowatthour or leaking calorie of heat out of our homes and businesses should we focus on generating more power.
- One calorie of heat is equivalent to 4.2 joules of work.
1.2 (also large calorie, abbreviation: Cal) The energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 kilogram of water through 1 °C, equal to one thousand small calories and often used to measure the energy value of foods.
- Donnelly speculates that women may burn fewer calories during their workouts because they are physically smaller than men.
- Physical activity helps control weight by burning excess calories that would otherwise be stored as fat.
- A good way to provide additional protein without adding extra calories is by using a protein powder.
Definition of calorie in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India