- 1Relating to the amount of energy contained in food or fuel: she knew the calorific contents of every morselMore example sentences
- In official quarters, there is also a refusal to admit that society's obsession with the safety, calorific content, amount or quality of the food that we eat is more unhealthy than any number of fad diets or burger bars.
- Leaving aside the high calorific content, this type of food is actively bad for you and will deplete your immune system.
- At the very least, consumers have to be told the calorific and fat content, maybe even the saturated fat.
- 1.1(Of food or drink) containing many calories and so likely to be fattening: there is fruit salad for those who can resist the more calorific concoctionsMore example sentences
- She has become addicted to fried chicken and calorific milkshakes in the last stages of her pregnancy.
- But bran flakes, like salad, don't count as calorific food.
- That's so calorific that no one drinks it.
- More example sentences
- There has never been a better time to be a calorifically challenged feminist in black, with cropped hair and dangly earrings.
- It is weight-bearing and therefore calorifically more demanding than swimming or cycling.
- Where possible we tried to make sure that the diets were equivalent, nutritionally and calorifically.
late 17th century: from Latin calorificus, from calor 'heat'.
More definitions of calorificDefinition of calorific in:
- The British & World English dictionary