- Members suffer from illnesses such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes and asthma.
- Denos died last Wednesday after a long battle against cancer and the lung disease emphysema.
- This may predispose people to conditions such as cancer and heart disease.
- Most stomach cancers form a tumour or an ulcer in the inner lining of the stomach.
- In almost all bladder cancers, the cancer cells show a loss of part of the long arm of chromosome number 9.
- In almost all cancers, the cancer cells are found to have a mutation in one or more genes.
- Depression is a cancer of the soul, it eats away at the core of who you are and replaces it with doubt and pain and fear.
- Those people are a cancer in our society and they deserve to be in jail.
- the financial services industry is like a cancer in our society.
Old English, from Latin, 'crab or creeping ulcer', translating Greek karkinos, said to have been used to name such tumors because the swollen veins around them resembled the limbs of a crab. canker was the usual form until the 17th century Compare with Cancer.
The pattern of swollen veins around malignant tumours gave them the name cancer because they looked like the limbs of a crab—cancer in Latin. In English canker (Middle English) was the usual form for the disease until the 17th century, when canker became the term for various plant diseases. The medical term carcinoma (early 18th century) comes from karkinos, Greek for ‘crab’.
Words that rhyme with cancerromancer
- Traditionally, the caring professions attract sun-sign Cancers, but professions connected with the past also appeal greatly, as does cookery.
- I'm a Cancer, I hate avocados and most animals, and I'm in a band you've never heard of called The Like.
- Unlike most Cancers, natives of this Sun-Moon sign do not feel the need to guard their emotions.
- tropic of Cancer
- see tropic1.
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.