Definition of candescent in English:
Glowing with, or as with, heat.
- She turned up at the shoot casually dressed in trousers and a top: a little girl with pallid yet candescent skin and cocoa-brown eyes, who stands just 5ft 3in high.
- If all candescent lights in China were replaced with energy-saving lights, 60 billion kilowatt hours of electricity could be saved every year.
- We created our own fixtures that included fluorescent and candescent lights to create a softer environment.
- Example sentences
- It comes from the same Latin root that produces ‘candescence ‘and meant ‘brilliant whiteness‘.
- Gem candescence is an optical quality that makes a gemstone look like a brilliant drop of liquid color.
- The process comprises the step of first bringing a substrate to candescence in a reducing or inert atmosphere for the purpose of cleaning the filament.
Definition of candescent in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan