Definition of candescent in English:
Glowing with, or as with, heat.
- She turned up at the shoot casually dressed in trousers and a top: a little girl with pallid yet candescent skin and cocoa-brown eyes, who stands just 5ft 3in high.
- If all candescent lights in China were replaced with energy-saving lights, 60 billion kilowatt hours of electricity could be saved every year.
- We created our own fixtures that included fluorescent and candescent lights to create a softer environment.
- Example sentences
- It comes from the same Latin root that produces ‘candescence ‘and meant ‘brilliant whiteness‘.
- Gem candescence is an optical quality that makes a gemstone look like a brilliant drop of liquid color.
- The process comprises the step of first bringing a substrate to candescence in a reducing or inert atmosphere for the purpose of cleaning the filament.
Definition of candescent in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.