Definition of candlefish in English:
noun (plural same or candlefishes)
A small, edible marine fish with oily flesh, occurring on the west coast of North America. Also called eulachon.
- Thaleichthys pacificus, family Osmeridae
- Gulls wheeled and screamed over the first slug of spawning candlefish.
- Both herring and candlefish can be imitated with Marabous or weighted or unweighted Clouser Minnows.
- He'll then switch his lures to match the size of the candlefish, usually about 2 to 3 inches long.
So named because the Chinook Indians formerly burned the oily bodies of these fish as candles.
Definition of candlefish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan