Definition of cane toad in English:
A large brown toad native to tropical America. It has been introduced elsewhere as a pest control agent but can become a serious pest itself, partly because animals eating it are killed by its toxins. Also called marine toad, giant toad.
- Bufo marinus, family Bufonidae
- Small, warty, and armed with a poison strong enough to kill crocodiles, the cane toad is generally regarded as a blight on the Australian landscape.
- The cane toad is native to the American tropics and was deliberately introduced as a biocontrol agent between the middle of the 19th and 20th centuries in numerous islands of the Caribbean and the Pacific.
- Another Australian biocontrol attempt gone awry entailed the release of the cane toad to control beetles that were harming sugarcane crops.
Definition of cane toad in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.