Definition of cankerworm in English:
The caterpillar of a North American moth that has wingless females. Cankerworms consume the buds and leaves of trees and can be a major pest.
- Several species in the family Geometridae, in particular Paleacrita vernata and Alsophila pometaria
- Many garden pests are carabid food: cutworms, codling moth larvae, tent caterpillars, slugs, snails and cankerworms to name a few.
- House wrens and chickadees compete for cankerworms and caterpillars; wood ducks, gray squirrels, flickers, and screech owls fight for the same nesting sites.
- The first goal of this paper is to document an example of associational susceptibility using the hosts of a common forest pest, the fall cankerworm.
Definition of cankerworm in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan