- The caterpillar of a North American moth that has wingless females. Cankerworms consume the buds and leaves of trees and can be a major pest.
More example sentences
- Several species in the family Geometridae, in particular Paleacrita vernata and Alsophila pometaria
- Many garden pests are carabid food: cutworms, codling moth larvae, tent caterpillars, slugs, snails and cankerworms to name a few.
- House wrens and chickadees compete for cankerworms and caterpillars; wood ducks, gray squirrels, flickers, and screech owls fight for the same nesting sites.
- The first goal of this paper is to document an example of associational susceptibility using the hosts of a common forest pest, the fall cankerworm.
More definitions of cankerwormDefinition of cankerworm in:
- The British & World English dictionary