Definition of capitulation in English:
1The action of surrendering or ceasing to resist an opponent or demand: the victor sees it as a sign of capitulation a capitulation to wage demands
More example sentences
- In the military sense capitulation provides a means to end conflict, either at local or a wider level.
- The Americans have stopped pretending, and now demand outright capitulation to its hegemony.
- We are dealing with an absolutist culture that demands total capitulation or nothing.
1.1 (capitulations) historical An agreement or set of conditions.
- If these capitulations contain conditions which curtail the jurisdiction or the prerogatives of the bishop, the privileges of the diocese, or the like, then they do not bind the candidate-elect.
- Capitulations were abolished in Turkey in 1923 and in Egypt in 1937.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan