Definition of capsaicin in English:
A compound that is responsible for the pungency of capsicums.
- A cyclic amide; chemical formula: C18H27NO3
- What was known was that certain types of nerve endings responded to capsaicin by allowing calcium ions to flow into the cell.
- What you were up against was the awesome power of a chemical known as capsaicin, an odorless, flavorless substance present in chili peppers.
- Although capsaicin causes respiratory problems, the researchers did not find evidence of any unique metabolites in lung microsomes.
Late 19th century: alteration of capsicine, the name of a substance formerly thought to have the same property.
Definition of capsaicin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.