- A highly reactive molecule containing a divalent carbon atom, examples of which occur as intermediates in some organic reactions.More example sentences
- It is only in reactions with transition metals that carbenes are stable, due to the distribution of electrons within the structure formed.
- So here we have the personal opinion of a professor in chemistry, famous for his work on carbenes, commenting on evolution and at the same time his title evolved into professor of biochemistry.
- This reaction has become synthetically useful since the discovery of various well-defined transition metal carbene complexes which can catalyse alkene metathesis.
More definitions of carbeneDefinition of carbene in:
- The British & World English dictionary