- 1Any of a large group of organic compounds occurring in foods and living tissues and including sugars, starch, and cellulose. They contain hydrogen and oxygen in the same ratio as water (2:1) and typically can be broken down to release energy in the animal body: water-soluble carbohydrates dehydrated foods high in carbohydrate [as modifier]: carbohydrate metabolismMore example sentences
- Carbohydrate comes in two forms - starches and sugars - and both types have been shown to help improve performance by boosting the body's stores of glycogen.
- Scientific research suggests that alpha lipoic acid helps increase the carbohydrate absorption and storage by your muscles, independent of insulin.
- Carbohydrate is the primary energy source used by the body during distance / endurance events.
- 1.1Food consisting of or containing a lot of carbohydrates: before the event I will starve myself of carbohydrates and eat a lot of proteinMore example sentences
- "Active women need to eat carbohydrates," explains Kristia.
- More than half the recipes have 10 grams of carbohydrates or less.
- Friends talked ecstatically of losing pounds by not eating carbohydrates, or only eating meat.
More definitions of carbohydrateDefinition of carbohydrate in:
- The British & World English dictionary