- (Chiefly of rocks or sediments) consisting of or containing carbon or its compounds.More example sentences
- Australian coals and associated carbonaceous sediments may thus well be oil source rocks in the Gippsland basin area and elsewhere in Australia.
- An exception may be its type locality in Colombia, where it occurs in veinlets and pockets in carbonaceous sedimentary units apparently distant from igneous rocks.
- The association of the cherts with carbonaceous sandstones and lacustrine shales in the Rhynie Cherts Unit indicates sinter deposition interrupted alluvial floodplain sedimentation of mud and sand.
More definitions of carbonaceousDefinition of carbonaceous in:
- The British & World English dictionary