Add carbon to (iron or steel), in particular by heating in the presence of carbon to harden the surface.
- That is, the hardenability of the case is significantly greater when nitrogen is added by carbonitriding than when the same steel is only carburized.
- Micro-sections of structural steels carburised for not less than 8 hours at 925°C and slowly cooled to show cementite networks are photographed at a magnification of 100.
- In the original cooling or through subsequent heat treatment, a matrix can be internally decarbonized or carburized by depositing graphite on existing sites or by dissolving carbon from them.
- Example sentences
- They can contain 35 to 85% Ni, but invariably contain greater than 15% Cr to form an adherent surface oxide to protect against oxidation and carburization at temperatures up to 1000 to 1200°C in air.
- These various applications may demand resistance to aqueous corrosion mechanisms, such as general corrosion, localized attack, and SCC, or resistance to elevated temperature oxidation, sulfidation and carburization.
- Simultaneous or subsequent carburisation leads to an additional increase in the ignition temperature.
Mid 19th century: from French carbure 'carbide' + -ize.
Definition of carburize in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.