Definition of caretaker in English:
1A person employed to look after a public building or a house in the owner’s absence.
- On a typical day Ann arrives at school at least half an hour before the youngsters and stays - like her colleagues - until the caretaker locks the building at 5.30 pm.
- In addition, when we have permission from the local authorities, we are hoping to build an adjoining building for the caretaker, with a room added for the Sunday school.
- Khintu is the daughter of the caretaker of our building.
1.1 [as modifier] Holding power temporarily: his was a caretaker regime
More example sentences
- He stayed in football, managing several clubs in the Western League, and was caretaker manager at Exeter for a short while.
- ‘Sometimes substitutions work, sometimes they don't,’ said caretaker manager Chisholm.
- But there is still no news on his future as caretaker manager.
2chiefly North American A person employed to look after people or animals.
- In addition, staff can help caretakers select an animal that is compatible with their environment and resources.
- This could actually be the result of incompatibility between behaviors typical of an animal breed and a caretaker's behavior or environment.
- Her father was the animal caretaker, and she assisted with the horses.
- Example sentences
- Seniors Dave and Sumana retired from life in the fast lane to caretake a 40-acre resort property located outside of the city of Oaxaca, Mexico.
- Apparently, the graveyard was owned at some stage by Laois Co. Council who paid old Mr. Deegan a pittance to caretake it.
- Another aspect of the end-of-the-summer ‘re-entry’ concerns the nature of caretaking in a camp environment.
Words that rhyme with caretakerboneshaker • piss-taker
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan