noun (plural same or caribous)North American
- A large North American reindeer.
More example sentences
- Genus Rangifer: several species, in particular the woodland caribou (R. caribou) and the barren ground caribou (R. tarandus)
- Large artiodactyls such as the caribou inhabit subarctic forests.
- In such a vast park there are only a few hundreds of wild animals which include the jackal, the fox, the dall sheep, the caribou and the moose.
- Scientists say the decline of the Porcupine caribou herd in Alaska and the Yukon may be linked to global warming.
mid 17th century: from Canadian French, from Micmac γalipu, literally 'snowshoveler' (because the caribou scrapes away snow to feed on the vegetation underneath).
More definitions of caribouDefinition of caribou in:
- The British & World English dictionary