noun (plural carinae-ˌnē or carinas)chiefly Biology
1A keel-shaped structure, in particular.
- This combined system of the exodermic deck and steel box girders resulted in a clean, uncluttered structure with smooth lines that complement the carina piers and segmental concrete approaches.
- Adcarinal ridges flank the carina on the platform and tend to have relatively short anterior extensions with only slight anterior flaring.
1.1 Zoology The ridge of a bird’s breastbone, to which the main flight muscles are attached.
- Denticles on both anterior and posterior carinae are approximately equivalent in size.
- However, one of the crests seems to merge with the carina while the other simply peters out. On the image at left, that would be just below the humeral facet and on the hidden, reverse face of the bone.
- The extent and prominence of the carinae, the carina on the central node, reticulation, and posterior node are characteristic of the species.
1.2 Anatomy Cartilage situated at the point where the trachea divides into the two bronchi.
- Bronchoscopy revealed a normal distal trachea, carina and right mainstem bronchus.
- They are concentrated in the carina and primary bronchi, and are also believed to be cough receptors.
- The trachea, carina, right and left lobar and segmental bronchi were examined and were normal.
Early 18th century: from Latin, 'keel'.
- Example sentences
- Loven illustrated considerable variation in carinal pattern among rays in the same specimen, and what appear to be new carinals forming several plates proximal from the terminal.
- Species are diagnosed on the basis of carinal height and the nature (height, symmetry, completeness) and number (zero, one, or two) of flanking rows or parapets.
- Patients were divided into four groups by the location of obstruction: tracheal, carinal, bronchial, or extensive (multiple-site) compression.
Pronunciation: /kəˈrēn(ə)l/ /kəˈrīn(ə)l/adjective
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan