- 1A northeastern Brazilian fan palm, the leaves of which exude a yellowish wax. Also called wax palm.
More example sentences
- Copernicia cerifera, family Palmae
- To protect itself against dehydration during the period of drought that severely affects the Northeast region of Brazil every year for more than six months, the Carnauba covers its leaves with a thick layer of wax.
- 1.1 (also carnauba wax) Wax from the carnauba palm, formerly used as a polish and for making candles.More example sentences
- The apples all shimmer like celebrities at a premiere, because they are given a shiny coating with carnauba wax (also used in shoe polish).
- Important ester waxes include carnauba wax, lanolin, beeswax, and spermaceti.
- Other important waxes include carnauba wax and spermaceti.
mid 19th century: from Portuguese, from Tupi.
More definitions of carnaubaDefinition of carnauba in:
- The British & World English dictionary