- 1An animal that feeds on flesh.More example sentences
- The carnivores feed on annelids, crustaceans, and fish.
- Feeding on them are microscopic and macroscopic herbivores, with carnivores preying on them.
- The natural world requires a balance of carnivores, omnivores and herbivores.
- 1.1 Zoology A mammal of the order Carnivora.More example sentences
- Most drumming mammals are rodents, but drumming has also been described in carnivores, deer, rabbits, elephant shrews and marsupials.
- Fish owls, jungle cats, civets (a carnivore related to the mongoose), and even house cats are reported to eat them.
- Spotted hyenas are gregarious carnivores that live in social groups, called clans, composed of multiple matrilines of adult females and their offspring, as well as one or more adult immigrant males.
mid 19th century: from French, from Latin carnivorus (see carnivorous).
More definitions of carnivoreDefinition of carnivore in:
- The British & World English dictionary