Definition of carnosaur in English:
A large bipedal carnivorous dinosaur, typically one with greatly reduced forelimbs.
- Infraorder Carnosauria, suborder Theropoda, order Saurischia; includes tyrannosaurus, allosaurus, and megalosaurus
- Allosaurus, predecessor to the Tyrannosaurus Rex and the dominant ‘carnosaur’ - carnivorous dinosaur - of the mid-Jurassic age, has been well known to palaeontologists for decades.
- The large carnosaurs and tyrannosaurs also appear to have shorter teeth than would be expected for a mammalian carnivore of their body size.
- Many carnosaurs have fairly good-sized forelimbs, unlike the Tyrannosauridae.
- Example sentences
- It was the carnosaurian theropod, belonging to the family Tyrannosauridae.
- Mapusaurus was a giant carnosaurian dinosaur from the Late Cretaceous Period of what is now Argentina.
- L. gallicus is possibly carnosaurian and needs renaming.
Definition of carnosaur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.