Definition of carpenter bee in English:
A large solitary bee with purplish wings that nests in tunnels bored in dead wood or plant stems.
- Genus Xylocopa, family Apidae: several species
- The most detailed studies of facultative sociality in bees have focused on the large carpenter bee Xylocopa pubescens.
- Pollinators of trees in the Brazil nut family include the female carpenter bee, above, shown as she is about to enter the flower of a sapucaia tree.
- The female carpenter bee bores straight in - in this case upward - then makes a number of lateral bores 90 degrees perpendicular to the main bore, to lay her eggs in.
Definition of carpenter bee in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan