Definition of carpetbag in English:
A traveling bag of a kind originally made of carpeting or carpetlike material.
- ‘He's never told me,’ another voice spoke up and we turned to see Mai approaching, a small carpet bag slung over her shoulder.
- Clutching her carpet bag tightly, Anne walked over to a nearby motel.
- Following that, she wrapped a thin cloak around her shoulders, picked up the carpet bag into which she had stuffed some clothing and slipped out into the freezing night.
verb[no object] Back to top
Act as a carpetbagger: (as adjective carpetbagging) rich, carpetbagging developers
More example sentences
- Her carpet-bagging defeat of an unready, ill-prepared opponent may have proved her electability, but it was a risk-free run in one of the most left-liberal states in the country.
- Marc McSharry and Barry Duignan play the debonair students, Michael Roper the money-chasing, carpet-bagging uncle.
- It is also caught between the worst of two political systems: a corrupt, crippled and haltingly reactive Federation and carpet-bagging capitalism.
Definition of carpetbag in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan