(also carragheen or carrageen moss)
Definition of carrageen in English:
An edible red shoreline seaweed with flattened branching fronds, found in both Eurasia and North America and used to produce carrageenan. Also called Irish moss.
- Chondrus crispus, phylum Rhodophyta
- I know how to eat everything you can gather on its rocky coast and bone-white beaches: razor shells, cockles, mussels, whelks, carrageen seaweed, winkles, crabs (velvet and red), conger eel, mackerel.
- We have had another go at marbling: this time we used carrageen moss, which smells like the shore at low tide, and is fairly icky, but works.
- Some old local British recipes make use of carrageen moss.
Early 19th century: from Irish carraigín.
Definition of carrageen in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.