- 1Each of the two sides of a divided highway or expressway, each of which usually have two or more lanes.More example sentences
- On Sunday the cones will be changed and work will start on the other side of the eastbound carriageway.
- Suddenly the coach crossed the central reservation and collided with a public light bus travelling in the inner lane of the eastbound carriageway.
- The woman landed in the middle lane of the eastbound carriageway, but, miraculously, she wasn't hit by a vehicle.
- 1.1The part of a road intended for vehicles rather than pedestrians.More example sentences
- The lady driver deftly swung the vehicle back onto the carriageway and we sped up the Lisburn Road.
- Road sweepers were drafted in to clear the carriageway while damaged vehicles were recovered.
- The increase in vehicles and the reduced carriageway made it difficult for them to move along the city roads.
More definitions of carriagewayDefinition of carriageway in:
- The British & World English dictionary