Definition of cartilaginous in English:
1(Of a structure) made of cartilage.
- It is formed by cartilaginous, bony and connective tissue structures.
- The human larynx is composed of cartilaginous tissue that early in adulthood progressively undergoes ossification.
- There are three types of joints, fibrous, cartilaginous, and synovial.
1.1 Zoology (Of a vertebrate animal) having a skeleton of cartilage.
- Since sturgeons and paddlefish have lost many traits of most bony fish - they lack scales and have a cartilaginous skeleton - their fossil records are very sparse.
- The freshwater sawfish, a ray, is related to stingrays, skates, sharks, and other fishes with cartilaginous skeletons.
- This property (among others) allows the tail to be light and flexible, yet stiff enough to generate thrust in the absence of a bony or cartilaginous skeleton.
Words that rhyme with cartilaginousfarraginous, oleaginous
Definition of cartilaginous in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan