- 1The citadel of a North African city.More example sentences
- The Casbah, citadel, has always been the. beating heart of Algiers, capital of Algeria.
- 1.1 (the casbah) The area surrounding a North African citadel, typically in the old part of a city.More example sentences
- The casbah is surrounded by newer, European-style buildings.
- The center of old cities is the casbah (Arabic for fortress), a market of serpentine alleyways and intricate arches where a variety of traditional crafts are sold, from carpets to baskets to pottery.
- He notes, for instance, ‘In all the cities of the Maghreb, the casbahs are the indigenous strongholds, centers of tacit and at times active resistance to the European colonial presence ‘.’
mid 18th century: French, from Arabic ḳaṣaba 'citadel'.
More definitions of casbahDefinition of casbah in:
- The British & World English dictionary