- Pork belly fat and salt pork from the belly and sides of the pig are tender and best when smoked or salt cured for use in stews, casseroles, or cooked as for bacon.
- Made from soybeans, TVP comes in granules, chunks and flakes and is great in stews, casseroles, chili and veggie burgers.
- The doorbell rang out through the house just as Mom was pulling her chicken casserole from the oven.
- Spoon any remaining stuffing into a baking dish or casserole: cover and chill until you're ready to bake it (about an hour before the turkey is scheduled to come out of the oven).
- Spray an 8x8-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and spread batter in bottom of dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, lidded frying pan or flameproof casserole, and brown the lamb shanks well on all sides.
- I won't tell if you don't - doesn't matter a jot when it's going to be casseroled, anyway.
- I would start with stuffed squid; the world's best squid can be found on Gozo, followed by bean soup and fenek - rabbit casseroled in red wine and garlic.
- From traditional roast to casseroled, minced or fried, lamb is a wonderful and all too often underrated meat.
Early 18th century: from French, diminutive of casse 'spoonlike container', from Old Provençal casa, from late Latin cattia 'ladle, pan', from Greek kuathion, diminutive of kuathos 'cup'.
This originally French word for a stew, or the pot in which it is cooked, is a diminutive of casse ‘spoon-like container’, from late Latin cattia ‘ladle, pan’ which came in turn from Greek kuathion ‘little cup’.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of casserole in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.