Definition of cast iron in English:
1A hard, relatively brittle alloy of iron and carbon that can be readily cast in a mold and contains a higher proportion of carbon than steel (typically 2.0-4.3 percent).
- It had three keyholes and as many huge keys and was apparently made of cast iron reinforced with steel.
- There are two other classes of cast iron which are more ductile than gray cast iron.
- Steel combines something of the strength of wrought iron with the malleability of cast iron.
2 [as modifier] Firm and unchangeable: there are no cast-iron guarantees
More example sentences
- But it is reluctant to issue a cast-iron guarantee that every contract will meet its target, even though none has fallen short to date.
- It combines stock market growth potential with a cast-iron guarantee that savers will not lose a penny if the market volatility continues.
- In this sense, the individual must again decide in each case, giving a cast-iron definition of where they would draw the line.
Definition of cast iron in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.