- 1The seed of the castor-oil plant. It contains a number of poisonous compounds, especially ricin, as well as castor oil.More example sentences
- In castor bean and soybean seeds, vacuolar processing enzymes were detected in the protein bodies and probably associated with the conversion of proproteins to their corresponding mature forms in vacuoles.
- In contrast to soybean (where assimilates are stored in the cotyledons), the primary storage tissue in castor bean seeds is the endosperm, a maternal tissue which releases assimilates apoplasmically to the growing seedling.
- The poison is derived from the seeds and pods of the castor bean plant and may be inhaled, ingested or injected.
- 1.1North American The castor-oil plant.More example sentences
- Bengal Tiger, with its bold stripes of green and gold is a real show stopper, but I have a sneaky fondness for red flowered cannas with burgundy leaves mixed with the bold bluish burgundy foliage of the castor bean.
- Herbs such as the castor bean and poison hemlock, which killed ancient Greek philosopher Socrates, are toxic.
- Two extremely toxic plants are castor bean and precatory bean or rosary pea (Abrus).
More definitions of castor beanDefinition of castor bean in:
- The British & World English dictionary