Definition of castor bean in English:
1The seed of the castor-oil plant. It contains a number of poisonous compounds, especially ricin, as well as castor oil.
- In castor bean and soybean seeds, vacuolar processing enzymes were detected in the protein bodies and probably associated with the conversion of proproteins to their corresponding mature forms in vacuoles.
- In contrast to soybean (where assimilates are stored in the cotyledons), the primary storage tissue in castor bean seeds is the endosperm, a maternal tissue which releases assimilates apoplasmically to the growing seedling.
- The poison is derived from the seeds and pods of the castor bean plant and may be inhaled, ingested or injected.
1.1North American The castor-oil plant.
- Bengal Tiger, with its bold stripes of green and gold is a real show stopper, but I have a sneaky fondness for red flowered cannas with burgundy leaves mixed with the bold bluish burgundy foliage of the castor bean.
- Herbs such as the castor bean and poison hemlock, which killed ancient Greek philosopher Socrates, are toxic.
- Two extremely toxic plants are castor bean and precatory bean or rosary pea (Abrus).
Definition of castor bean in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia